Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Shopping for a Savings Account

For a while, I had no savings account. I closed the one that I used to have when I needed to buy a car and didn't bother (or really have the money) to open a new one for a number of years. When I started working full time again, I figured it was probably time to reopen one. I have this tendency to spend whatever money gets put into my checking account, so it seemed like a good idea to have an account that I wasn't so eager to withdraw from. At the time, I hadn't really put much thought into how to figure out where the right place to open savings accounts might be. It seemed only natural to open my savings account at the same bank where I opened my checking account (which, by the way, I only opened there because they were offering a cash bonus for starting an account with direct deposit). Don't get me wrong, this has come in handy many times when I need to transfer money from my savings into my checking (aren't those the worst days?) to pay a bill or something of the like and having the two connected has saved me from unnecessary overdraft charges. That being said I also paid no mind to interest rates, which in the long run are probably the most important factor when choosing a savings account. If I am going to keep my money in the account for an extended period of time, doesn't it only seem natural to want to keep it in the spot where it can grow the most? I have considered moving at least a good chunk the money in my current account into a new savings account with a better interest rate because I know that eventually it will be worth it, but it does seem like a hassle and I don't really want to give up the security of having my savings and checking account connected at this point. Oh decisions, decisions....


*I was compensated for sharing this info with you.


No comments: